Thursday, July 2, 2009

Bridesmaid Dressses and Bear Skins

Someone just said I live a unique life. I suppose I do. Some would call it barbaric. Some would call it a dream life. I think it is somewhere in the middle. Just enough uniqueness to have fun and just enough civilized to not be too barbaric - I hope. However you characterize my life, it is NOT boring!

My current project is altering a lovely bridesmaid's gown. I have this great barter arrangement with a massage therapist. I sew or alter clothing for her, and she gives me massages. Its a win/win. This alteration has to do with an ill-fitting neckline and I'm trying a simple thing first. If it works, it will save me tearing into some very sensitive fabric.

But today is a big day in other departments. I think I mentioned that we heard from the Fish, Wildlife and Parks that we cannot have the bear that my Dad shot some weeks ago. It looks so much like a grizzly bear that they are doing a life-size mount and will display it next to a grizzly mount. I'm told one of the rangers thought it was a grizzly.

Anyway, they did have another cinnamon colored black bear for us. It is much smaller (about 1/2 or less). So today is skinning day. Trapper Girl is here to help us with her expertise. When we are done, we will take it to a tanner. Can't wait to let the students touch the pelt. The Warden said he will help us get other pelts and skulls for our Tutoring Service. The kids love to touch and handle things like this.

I'm done with my morning students and am heading out to change clothes and try my hand at skinning a bear. Barbaric? Maybe so. - Nanette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear...you do AMAZE me!
Where in the world did you get
such a zest for living?

I LOVE how you LOVE life!!!

Have fun skinning....masks and
gloves are in order, I'm sure.

Love you

Granny Flash

Followers