Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Grasshopper Update and Misc. Gardening News

The bear grass is stunning this year. On one of our recent explorations, we were continually exclaiming over the beauty of the profusion of blooms. It is truly summertime here. I spent much time weeding lastnight. Today, I will harvest parsley, sage, and chives to dry for winter.

On the grasshopper front, I still see many, many grasshoppers when I walk around the garden, but they don't seem to be eating my plants anymore. That would be consistent with the information on how Semaspore works. They start eating less as the virus multiplies in their bodies.

I visited a wonderful farmer's market the other day and ran into the teacher who had taught my organic farming class at the college. I mentioned to her that I was having grasshopper troubles and she said, "Oh, there's this wonderful stuff you've got to try! It is called Semaspore." When I told her that I had already appplied it about two weeks before, she said that that was perfect! I was pleased to have confirmation from a source I respect so much that I was onto the thing!


The Mighty Hunting Hound is still being crated while taking steroids. She is doing SO much better! She will have a follow up exam with the vet tomorrow and hopefully she will be off of her physical restrictions. Here is a picture of Mr. Blueberry Eyes sharing her exile with her for a few minutes.

We made a great discovery yesterday. Radish tops are edible! Who knew! We sauteed them with kale and ate them over rice with fresh chopped tomatoes, topped with an olive oil/lemon/garlic dressing. It was really yummy!

No comments:

Followers