Monday, June 15, 2009

Weed-ling the Time Away

I stayed in the garden lastnight until I feared I would not be able to tell the difference between the weeds I was pulling and the peas I was attempting NOT to pull. Laughing Water was reading a breathtaking portion of The Chronicles of Narnia to me while I weeded. About 10:15 p.m. The Wood Artist came out to see what was keeping us.
I still have a LONG way to go pulling that rye out! And there is still plenty of book left for Laughing Water to practice her C.S. Lewis voicing ! I fear I'll never keep up this year. But the potato patch looks entirely better, even if my hands have a permanent green stain on them!
It was a busy weekend. For starters, Friday, I discovered the plague of grasshoppers has started. Thousand of nymphs can be spotted in the hay field around the garden. So Friday was the day to put the Organic Semaspore on the area around the garden. Yesterday I got a gallon of black strap molasses for the spraying of the plants when they move in. I'm armed, but I'm not ready. I don't want to lose any of my crops!

Sabbath was busy. We led out in singing at our local Veteran's Home. The Wanderer joined us with a violin that added a lovely touch. Then we spent the evening with friends - laughing, and of course, eating! Marathon Man made the MOST delicious homemade ice cream and hot fudge sauce. It was the kind that was so yummy, the whole world needed to stop so you wouldn't be
distracted while relishing it!

We're still worried about The Mighty Hunting Hound. She's not improving, despite our faithful crating and medicating. Poor baby.

These are pictures of my poppies and sage that are up and doing beautifully in my garden. It is difficult to see the lovely lavendar flower on this sage, but if you click on the picture to enlarge it, you can see it better.
Happy weeding! - Nanette

1 comment:

Nani said...

So sorry to hear that Mighty Hunting Hound is not doing well. Too bad you are having such a time with the grasshoppers too. Does what you are doing seem to help at all. May just not be enough against the hordes you seem to have all around. Weeds keep us working don't they. Have been trying to get ahead of them in our garden and am getting close. However yours is bigger than ours. Planted some more WW Sweets this evening as the neighbor in the mobile had extra and shared. The neighbor across the street was dispairing of the morning glory in the lawn today. It is hard to get ahead of that too. Love you guys.

Followers