Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday, America!

I'm sitting here at my computer, sharing my Ipod with my son. He has one ear bud and I have the other. His face is sticky with corn on the cob and peaches. We are listening to Shania Twain... "You're still the one!" He is grinning and occasionally bobbing his head to the music.

These pictures are from our hike last Sunday. We hiked a mountain that is about 45 minutes from our house. It was beautiful and I was proud of the kids. Because we drove part way up, the hike was only about an 1800 foot climb. The views were spectacular and so was the wind! The mountain goats were slightly skiddish, but not very shy. One of them had a tiny baby who scampered across a steep, snowy hill so fast we held our breath!

The bear skinning yesterday went well. We were saddened to discover that she had massive bruising on her hind quarters - likely she had been hit by car before the person had to shoot her in self-defense. She must have been really hurting. We should get the hide back from the tanner in about 5 months. The one freak-out moment was when the make-shift table we were using got upset and we dropped the bear and the skinning knife I was using stabbed me in my finger. It was only a scratch, but I was completely grossed-out and worried about infection. The doctor assures me that bears don't have any terrible diseases.

We are looking forward to celebrating our country's birthday. There will be a picnic with friends. I'm taking black bean salsa - my 4th of July tradition. After dark there will be a "potluck" fireworks show. We will read stories about our forefathers and marvel at their courage in the face of an uncertain outcome. (We'll miss our friends that can't be there - especially Piro-Man and his family. How we miss that family!)

Now, our earphones are playing the Judds and Mr. Blueberry Eyes is singing along: "Grandpa, tell me about the good old days.... Did lovers really fall in love to stay? Did families really bow their heads to pray?"

It has been a long, hard two weeks and I'm tired and grumpy. But I'm going to get some sleep and trust that my Saviour can restore my peace of mind! And, I'm going enjoy my country's birthday. I hope you do, too! - Nanette

No comments:

Followers