Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Corny Day

 I can't believe my luck today!  Blogspot let me put several pictures on at once!  Now I can get caught up on old news!  A few weeks ago, this is what it looked like in our living room.  After such crazy summer weather, we still got a great harvest of corn.  Hurrah for short-season corn.
 The ears were plump and extremely sweet!
 We saved some of the silk and air dried it for tea.  Corn silk tea is thought help bedwetting.  It is yummy, too.
We froze the rest of it.  Here, Mr. Blueberry Eyes is helping take the corn off of the cob. - Nanette

2 comments:

nani said...

Your corn pictures are beautiful. The last of ours did not quite reach that maturity but it was good to eat. Dad picked the last of it two days ago. The stocks had frozen so he was surprised there was any okay to eat as a few days before he was sure it was too immature. Yesterday Dad picked up 3 boys after school so they could be here till their mom was home from a doctors appointment and they helped him pull and stack the stalks. The boys had great fun and that job got done in short order.

We finished the applesauce yesterday after working on it 3 days along with other things. The first day we did 29 quarts, second day 19 and yesterday 12 plus 11 cups to make apple butter and then made two pies.

Today Dad is digging potatoes and I am catching up on others things.

Joana Gouveia said...

I do that to with my mum when I'm at home and I really enjoy doing it. do you know that the peel of the corn when its dry and flat some people use for making cigarettes? Well I just knew 2 months ago but smoking isn't nice. I love the pics they are very nice and the corn looks tasty and yummy :)

Followers