Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Race

I promised I would post again soon, but life has taken me by storm the last few days! I'm almost finished with my Kenyan container, and the paperwork is looming large. One benefit is that I'm learning how to use Excell on Microsoft Word. Less than two weeks and I will be done, done, done with it. It will feel good to know it is on its way. There have been some great things coming in for them, including money for two new, heavy-duty washing machines which I purchased yesterday.

A week or two ago, we had a lot of fun attending a pinewood derby race. The children, and especially The Wood Artist, had worked hard on their cars. Laughing Water designed a ladybug with a tophat and a handlebar mustache made of black wool roving. She named it The Gentleman Bug.
She took first place for quality finish.

Mr. Blueberry Eyes designed a classy little racer driven by a Roman soldier. He took second place for speed. Both were thrilled.

That night was a bitterly cold night, but clear as chrystal, so we took advantage of the night sky to work on their Astronomy Honor. Since I'm not well versed in the stars, we had a friend on the cell phone, talking us through identify stars and constellations from her house in another part of our valley. Another friend helped us identify the very bright light as the planet Venus. It was a gorgeous, fun, and exhausting day.

And, now, I'm inclined to make a promise of more posts soon as I have a great assortment of things to write about, but I'm going to refrain from promising! The Wood Artist has the kids on the ski slope today as they are skiing with the homeschoolers. That enabled me to get my house clean in between helping a student. Next post will be about the recital. Nanette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We are proud of the kids and their accomplishment too. Love the pictures and always your writing.

Followers