Sunday, February 15, 2009

Garden Plans


This picture takes me back to a lovely day last summer when the neighbors were unloading a winter's supply of hay for their horses. Mr. Blueberry Eyes and his two friends from across the fence stood in the safety of our garden fence to watch the whole thing. The were so cute- three little towheads in swimming trunks.
Right now my garden is so full of snow that I can't get the gate open. But, today I spent a lot of time laying out on graph paper my plans for our family's 2009 garden. I'm going to try my hand at growing beans for drying this year - like pinto beans. I also want to grow enough tomatoes to make salsa and canned tomatoes to last all winter and enough tomatillos to make a roasted green sauce to last all winter.
This year, with the economic downturn, we have been eating largely from our garden stores and stocked up staples. It was with that knowledge and the idea that I need to grow stuff that I can preserve, that I carefully laid out my garden map.
I've promised some of you that I would post about my new favorite seed catalog. Last year I tried their seed and was thrilled with the robust quality of the plants. Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds is my new addiction. I've been scouring its pages since around Christmas and will keep referring to it throughout the growing season. Here is the info for it:
Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds
(417) 924-8917
2278 Baker Creek Road
Mansfield, MO 65704
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
On another note, do any of you know if one can use saw dust for cat litter? I have some from The Wood Artist's projects and would love to save some $, but I don't want to have a feline disaster on my hands. I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say. -Nanette

No comments:

Followers