Sunday, April 4, 2010

Fish Hatchery and Chicken Fever

We visited a local fish hatchery last weekend. It was a lovely spring day, so we snapped a few pictures. After the long winters that living in the north provides, spring sunshine is always welcome.

This spring, I've come down with a peculiar fever, though. I'm really not sure sure what triggered it. I've always thought that I would one day want chickens. Someday. In the future... When we have our own land. But, alas! It has hit my head with overwhelming desire. Now! I have to have chickens now!

Now this does present a bit of a problem in that we rent. Our landlords have chickens that run all over the property and it would be a nuthouse to add more. This, however, I think, can be managed with The Wood Artist's plans. He has proposed to me that the perfect way to keep chickens is to build a 6 foot run all the way around our garden. The coop would open up into this run. The run would also be covered with chicken wire, thus protecting the darlings from the bald eagles and resident hawk family. The run would also keep the foxes from grabbing at will, and would keep our flock separate from the landlord's flock. It would achieve the idea of having free range chickens with all the safety benefits of confinement. Since our garden boasts a perimeter of 320 feet, I figure that I can keep 15-20 chickens.

Another benefit that has me delirious with joy is that, with this plan, the chickens will eat the grasshoppers as they move into the garden. This should be a good year to test this. We had a mild winter - too warm to kill off the grasshopper eggs. I have confidence that my Semaspore bait from last year will kill off the resident hoppers, but what about the ones that will move in? Cluck-clucks to the rescue!

My poor husband. He is so overwhelmed with things that must be done. I really don't know if I should push for it this year. He is, however, game to give it a try. I think I'll make enough sewing for this wedding to pay for most of the fencing and posts. The Wood Artist thinks he has enough scraps for the building of the coop. I've got how-to books and chick catalogs on the way. The children are so excited. We've agreed they each get five and I get five. Most of them have names already.

So, stay tuned. We have a few hurdles to cross - like permission from the landlords and $. This could be a new adventure! Just think of the benefits - eggs, manure, free and safe insecticide, and countless hours of fun just watching them strut around! When I was a kid, my favorite place to be was my grandmother's coop. I could watch them by the hour, such comical creatures they were! I want that for my kids. - Nanette



4 comments:

nani said...

Sounds like work and fun and a good idea for grasshopper control. Makes me think of when David's sister wanted a pet so badly and brought home 2 chickens from school this time of year. We called a friend who told us how to feed chickens but also told us about puppies they were caring for. We ended up getting a puppy and the chickens paled in comparison. Besides we lived in town. The chickens were given away. The puppy was enjoyed for 16 years. Have fun with the chickens. Will they all be the same kind? Anxious to hear more about them.

ConundrumChum said...

Won't 15-20 chickens give you A LOT of eggs? I have always liked the idea of having chickens, so I will follow your progress avidly.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! It would give a lot of eggs. I have the perfect local outlet for them, though. It would be a good industry for the kids.

I'll be on a learning curve!

Nanette

Nanettesthoughtfulspot said...

Oh, yes. They would give way too many eggs for one family. But, I have the perfect local outlet to sell them at. It will be a good industry for the kids. - Nanette

Followers