Thursday, February 11, 2010

Putting Off What Must Be Done

I'm stalling. Yesterday I was given a large bolt of fabric for a wedding I'm sewing for. Although the wedding is not until May, I really want to get the dresses done. I have the measurements for two of the bridesmaids. The third is going to sew her own. There are several changes to the pattern and it is up to me to communicate all of that to the other seamstress in hopes that the dresses will all look similar! Right now, I need to compare measurements and start altering pattern pieces. Usually, I would look forward to the challenge, but I must be getting old. I just want to be done already. So, I'm blogging! Its more fun.

Here is a picture of the recent snow-shoe excursion we took into Glacier Park. It rejuvinated me to get out to my favorite stomping ground! Pictured with the kiddos and I are my parents, Health Food Man and Granny Flash. The Wood Artist is behind the camera.
I had a treat the other night. My sweet Laughing Water told me that she was making dinner. I ran to town on an errand and when I got back she was busily making potato soup and apple muffins. They were superb! I'm not sure where she learned to cook because, honestly, as much as I intended to teach her, I really haven't done so great at it! The muffins were so scrumptious! I couldn't have done a better job myself!
Today, Mr. Blueberry Eyes was in his skivies (I don't know how to spell that) scrubbing the bathtub (his favorite chore). He said, "Mom, can we web-catch today?" I thought, "Oh, bother! He has already passed me up in technology savvy." I said, "What is web-catching?" He replied, "You know! Getting down the cobwebs!" (So now you know that my house isn't perfect!) So, he spent part of his morning "catching webs"!
I'm excited to see how Mr. Blueberry Eyes has been motivated to read the last few days! It should help him make a lot of progress. I gave him a test, which he did not pass. I explained that he would pass it just as soon as his brain started paying attention to the vowel sounds in the words. That was all it took. He asked for the test again the next day and he passed it with flying colors. Now he is asking to read! Funny, the little things that can make a big difference.
I got some old wool sweaters and suit jackets from a local community service center that could not give them away. I felted them in my washing machine and plan to start making some hats and mittens out of them. Oops! That reminds me. I have a wedding to sew for first! I guess I can't stall anymore. I'm grabbing my measuring tape. I'll turn on the radio or a book on tape and just tackle it. Wish me luck! TTFN - Nanette

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like you guys had fun in the snow! We only have about an inch here. What a cute family! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes mom we had fun, so much fun.
I love you so much.
your doughter,

Anonymous said...

I want to learn to make felted mittens! I have been pining after them for a few years now, but don't know where to start. Do you have a pattern you use? I'm not so talented as you when it comes to sewing, but if I knew where to look for a pattern, I might have a chance!

Brenna

nanettesthoughtfulspot said...

Brenna,

I got this wonderful book from the library called "Warm Fuzzies" by Betz White. She gives the directions of how to felt and has all sorts of very cute things to make, including the cutest mittens!

Anonymous said...

As for the muffins and soup, most learning is caught, not taught.
You are an excellent cook, and the
results of osmosis is now being enjoyed. Good job!! Praying for you in your sewing venture....it'll be fine. What a privilege to be able to sew for a wedding.

Anonymous said...

Oh!You got a lot of comments lady.

Followers