Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Living High on a Budget

One of my greatest fears is deprivation. I spend my life trying to figure out how to insure myself against it. I'm sure psychologists would have a heyday speculating why I'm like that. But whatever they would conclude wouldn't change the fact that I despise even the thought of having to do without.

I've said before that the downturn has hit our business hard. We have high hopes for the future as we seize this opportunity to reinvent what we do and morph with the times to remain a viable entity.

But, in the meantime, socks and underwear may garner a few more holes than we would like, and we are looking for ways to live frugally - without feeling deprived. On good days, it is a scintillating challenge! On bad days, well, we won't go there!

We've been coming up with some freaky cool ideas to save on the food budget. We're working on designing a hanging garden in my tiny kitchen. We'll keep you posted on this. Imagine the $ you could save by growing all the greens you could eat in the dead of winter! Can't wait to try it!
Pictured here is some cinnamon swirl French toast that we made for just pennies. The other night, The Wood Artist and I had these parfaits made from huckleberries we picked and froze last summer and raspberries his parents grew and froze for us. The treat was rounded out with Cool Whip and homemade granola and a little milk. No deprivation here!
I made the coolest discovery tonight. I made a crock pot stew for supper and put some of my dehydrated green beans in it. After just a few hours of cooking, the green beans are as tender and more delicious than canned green beans. There wasn't even a hint of rubberiness. I've pretty much mastered the art of food dehydrating since my Dad has been teaching food dehydrating classes for years. But the trick can be finding a practical and delicious way to use the dehydrated food. I'm thrilled to add this to my bag of tricks! It is so much easier to dehydrate than can. You save more of the nutrients, and if you can make it this yummy, it just deserves a five star rating!
Here's to living frugally without feeling deprived! - Nanette

4 comments:

Nani said...

Your treats in the pictures are tempting and beautiful to the eyes and the appetite. Yes, I am hungry right now but they would be such anyway. As always your posts are appreciated.

Unknown said...

Looks Yummy! :)

Laughing Water said...

Hi mommy,
Mmmmmmm your french toest is yummy.
Love, Laughing Water

granny flash said...

I love your innovative ability. Necessity is the mother of invention. Those parfait yummos are so pretty...and the French toast... so wholesome and healthy.

Aren't you thankful you worked hard during the summer putting up frozen berries, drying green beans, etc., and that you make your own whole grain breads and granolas? You are saving tons of money doing it that way. It gives me such joy to know you learned how to do those things when you were younger.
If you calculated what you're really worth $$$wise for all you save and do, you're not measurable.
But if you realized what you're doing for your family/children then
you'd really realize you are of immeasurable worth here and to Jesus. I love you.

Followers