Saturday, January 16, 2010

Let My People Go


I had a little fun today. It was my turn to teach the Bible lesson at Mr. Blueberry Eyes' class. The story was of Moses and the Israelites crossing the Red Sea. I dug in my sewing closet and found a cut of rustic-looking fabric that was perfect for a drape. The Wood Artist had a spruce pole that had 75 years of growth, but had been constricted because of a vine growing around it. It made a perfect, lightweight staff. The head teacher had a great beard and turban to complete the look. I must say, I had fun!
I think it looks good with GAP jeans, don't you?!
Laughing Water is excited because her Sabbath School has a party planned for tonight. Her ride will be here in 1 1/2 hours. She is practically counting the minutes.
The weather here in the Northland is melty. I would like to go for a ski, or a snowshoe, but, alas, there is little snow left! I do hope this isn't the end of winter!
I'm reading a new book by Henri Nouwen called, "In the Name of
Jesus". It is a compelling take on what the life of follower of Christ should really look like. I dare say that if Christians had gotton this right from the beginning, there wouldn't have been the crusades, the bigotry, fake morality, and religious abuse and coercion that has been like a canker sore on the face of Christianity. It is a good read. I went to the library to read it today while my family was in church. I needed a some quiet time for my mind. I came away with provoked thoughts and a glimmer of hope in my heart.
This has been a week of stretching my spirit. There's been a lot going on and a lot of pondering. I'm going to crash for the rest of the weekend and hope next week is a little more mellow! :) Mellow is good, right?! - Nanette





2 comments:

Nani said...

Enjoyed your blog. Mellow is good I think too. However, just for fun I decided to look it up in the dictionary and thus have listed below. My 1959 dictionary gave basicly the first 6 definitions. I thought something was lacking there, probable some up to date uses were available. So, looked 'mellow' up online at: dictionary.com and found the uses listed below. I believe your use of the word fits more with #8 & 10.

–adjective 1. soft, sweet, and full-flavored from ripeness, as fruit.
2. well-matured, as wines.
3. soft and rich, as sound, tones, color, or light.
4. made gentle and compassionate by age or maturity; softened.
5. friable or loamy, as soil.
6. mildly and pleasantly intoxicated or high.
7. pleasantly agreeable; free from tension, discord, etc.: a mellow neighborhood.
8. affably relaxed; easygoing; genial: a mellow teacher who is very popular with her students.

–verb (used with object), verb (used without object) 9. to make or become mellow.

–noun 10. Slang. a state, atmosphere, or mood of ease and gentle relaxation.

—Verb phrase11. mellow out, Slang. a. to become detached from worry, strife, stress, etc.; relax: After final exams let's go down to the beach and mellow out.
b. to make more relaxed, agreeable, workable, etc.; soften or smooth: Chopin really mellows me out when I'm feeling tense.

Think I need to use the online dictionary more often than the 1959 one!

You made a great Moses, I am sure in action as well as in dress. Kids must have loved it.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha my sabeth school teachers and freind thout that was so funny.
Hahahahahaha

Followers