Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Seeds - The Promise of Life

I'm feeling lazy today. I have only 45 tomatoes and 6 trays of sweet and hot peppers started. I really need to start 2-3 more varieties of tomatoes and 2 varieties of peppers soon! But it is snowing and I'm feeling like reading a book instead of tromping out to my greenhouse to get more pots.
I like to start my seeds in pots that I've placed on a heat mat. The heat gives the little seedlings a boost. They can be purchased in gardening catalogs, and, I'm sure, nurseries.

After the seedlings appear I take them off of the heat mats and put them about 2 inches from grow lights that I've suspended from a metal shelf (purchased at Costco). As they grow, I lower them down so that they are always about 2-6 inches below the lights.

I learned the hard way that starts don't like to be in a warm room. They get leggy really fast. So I keep my operation in my garage that is about 50-60 degrees.

I also learned that if you put kelp in the water or soil, the seedlings grow stronger root systems and therefore the plant is healthier, stronger.

I put a picture here of my newest "toy". It is a pesticide sprayer. Of course, I avoid all pesticides, but have just been introduced to this handy-dandy tool as a great watering system. You can purchase them at Walmart for $9-$15. I've been delighted with the ease this allows my watering time. It is gentle on the little seedlings and is tidier than a water can or dipping system.

Let me know what you are starting and how! - Nanette

1 comment:

Nani said...

So interesting to see what you are doing for growing your plants. Not sure we are going to start any early here but maybe still will. If we do need to do so soon.

Followers