Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Basil Pesto

Here is my promised recipe for pesto. I usually leave out the parmesan cheese and it really does not impact the flavor that much. (And I'm picky about flavor!) I often make huge batches during the summer harvesting and freeze in serving sized bags. This makes yummy pasta, pesto swirl bread, and the best pizza you ever ate.

Pesto

2 cups fresh basil leaves, removed from the stem
1/2 c. fresh parsley leaves
1/2 c. olive oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste (optional - I don't use it)
1/4 c. roasted pine nuts
1/4 c. fresh Parmesan or Asiago cheese

In a blender or food processor, puree the basil, parsley, oil, garlic, salt, pepper. Add the nuts and the cheese and process briefly until the pesto reaches the desired consistency.
Makes 2 cups

No comments:

Followers