Thursday, July 12, 2012

Fabulous Food and Friends

I'm tired tonight.  It is well after midnight.  I should be in bed, but The Wood Artist will have computer access tomorrow and I want him to see a little of what we've been up to. 

I've been in Whitehorse for 2 1/2 weeks now and I already see a difference in the daylight.  I arrived just after summer solstice and had quite a time adjusting to not seeing darkness at all.  Now, at 12:30 a.m., there is a deep dusk outside.  It is still way too much fun to sit up in the night and talk, hash out issues and make plans with Julie. (Right now we are talking illustrations for a children's book I wrote and haven't had the courage to submit.  If she illustrates it, I think there is a much better chance for it to get published.) So, here I sit.
 We've been in crazy creative mode which means little planning in other areas of life.  Our kids have been running and playing like wild hooligans, making the best of memories.  When they get hungry, they come in and scavange for food.  Today the popular food was banana dogs.  You spread a piece of sandwich bread with peanut butter.  Add a 1/2 banana (whole - no slicing).  Add chocolate sauce.  I don't even want to think about how many of these they consumed today.  We've also been working with all five kids on beefing up their times tables.  One of the games gets the reward of a carob chips for each fact correct past a certain point.  I saw some of the chips making it into the banana dogs, too.
 But we do try to sit down to at least one formal meal each day and we have had some great food!  Here is a curry dish that Julie made.  We ate it with quinoa.
 Here is another fun one we saw on the internet.  Julie put the spaghetti through 1 inch lengths of vegetarian hot dogs.  Then she cooked them and covered them with a vegan cheese sauce.  What kid wouldn't eat this?!
Tomorrow is market day and I've been baking all day.  We had a big disaster this evening, though.  I had made a huge pan and a small pan of sweet rolls.  They were still rising when CM needed to get to his bike club.  I said I would take him and left the rolls in charge of Julie.  Then, Julie had to go to a meeting and left the timer for someone else, who shall remain nameless :).  Somehow the timer wasn't heard....They are a total loss.  But, thankfully, we have a lot of other yummy food ready to go.  We're hoping for a warm, sunny market day.  - Nanette

1 comment:

nani said...

So much fun for you and the kids!! and fun to hear about. Again love the pictures. Happy Market Day!

Followers