Sunday, June 13, 2010

Living in a Dream

When I was young girl, I lived in a Laura Ingalls Wilder fantasy world. I loved the movies. I loved the books. I would pretend to be her, picking up my imaginary, billowing skirts, and saying, "Drat! These hoops!"

I've long since grown out of it, but I still have a marvelous time reading her books to my kiddos and even sneak a peek when they watch an old "Little House on the Prarie" movie.



Last week, my Mom took the kids and I with her on a trip to Missouri for my brother's graduation from military police academy. We went a day early to take in some sights. Among the "sights", was the Laura Ingalls Wilder home in Mansfield, MO. This is the rock house that Laura and Almanzo's daughter, Rose, built for them in their later years. It was in this house that Laura wrote her first four books. She was 65 years old when she started them. I guess you are never to old to follow a dream!



This was the farmhouse that Almanzo built for Laura after they arrived in Mansfield. They lived in the stone house for 8 years and then moved back to their old farmhouse. Laura wrote her last four books there.

She saved everything. The museum beside the farmhouse has amazing things that belonged to the Wilders - Pa's fiddle, the breadplate. We looked at pictures, documents and lots of embroidery and cutwork that Laura had done. There was beadwork that Mary had learned to do at the blind school.

In the farmhouse was the water system and furniture that Almanzo built for Laura. There was the table where she read her Bible every day. There was the clock that Almanzo bought for her on their first Christmas. That, and the bread plate are the only things that survived the devastating fire that struck them in South Dakota.

I must say, I was smitten all over again! What an amazing woman. An amazing life!

In other news, Mr. Blueberry Eyes graduated from his music
school last Sunday. We are so proud of him. He will move onto private piano lessons next year.

I will post more about our Missouri trip soon. - Nanette

4 comments:

nani said...

Took a peek just before going to bed. So glad you got to make this trip. Love you all.

ConundrumChum said...

I also loved Little House on the Prairie. I cried when Jack the dog died and they had to leave him behind. The museum looks wonderful, what a great trip. I can't get Ellen interested in the books - very sad for me.

Unknown said...

Looks like tons of fun! I always loved those books too!

nani said...

So proud of Mr. Blueberry Eyes. Love his picture. Enjoyed other pictures and comments too.

Followers