Monday, June 21, 2010

Our Life Most Recently

I seem to go through periods where I have much to be philosophical about. I always think I'm going to pose a line of thought and invite comment. But, recently, it has been a lot just to keep up with our summer adventures. Here are a few photos taken on a recent trip to our favorite hiking spot. As you can see, the kids are growing before our eyes.

Lastnight, we returned home late from a homeschool convention in western Washington. I needed the refocusing that comes with those conventions. I needed the reassurance to some of my late ponderings of educational choices. That is exactly what I got.

The main speaker was John Taylor Gatto, a first-class educationalist. He was awarded "teacher-of-the-year" awards in the New York school system. It made one feel as if you were learning at the feet of a great thinker.

I was also tickled pink to meet Catherine Levison. Her books on a Charlotte Mason education influenced me early on in forming
my educational philosophy. She has a delightfully humorous
speaking style. We fell into a bonding conversation after her last meeting of the weekend. It made me so thankful for the greats who have forged the way before me. I don't think I would have been so brave and visionary.

We left Laughing Water and Mr. Blueberry Eyes with their grandparents for the weekend. They had a grand time playing with their cousin and bonding with Grandma and Grandpa.

In attempting to be thrifty, we got ourselves into a less than desireable motel situation. We had to listen to people fighting for two nights. One of the nights, I woke up with a start to the sound of a gunshot. When we awoke the next morning, the cops were there. I really don't know what happened. We had planned on staying for three nights, but decided enough was enough and drove back to The Wood Artist's parents' place. The kids shrieked in surprise when they saw us come in 18 hours early!



This picture of Mr. Blueberry cracks me up! Boys will be boys!

On the way home yesterday, we picked up two girls who were hitchhiking to Detroit. They were college kids headed to a symposium of some kind. I worried about them after we dropped them off. I hope they found a safe ride. They were sweet girls. I hope we hear from them again.



It has been raining great gadzukies here - definitely not your typical rainstorm for our corner of the world. I haven't even been out to my garden since I got home. It has been too wet!

I started a new student today. A delightful child. It is so good to be back tutoring again after several months' break!

I'll try to post garden pictures soon. That is, if there is anything other than puddles out there to take pictures of tomorrow! - Nanette

2 comments:

nani said...

Wow, you really changed your blog! I like it though. Can you change your format and it changes it all, even what has been posted before? Enjoy the pictures and all of it. We celebrated the other grandma's birthday tonight and our mutual granddaughter helped frost the cake (and taste frosting).

Unknown said...

Cute pics! I like the new blog look!

Followers