Monday, June 14, 2010

Next Stop, Seed Heaven

Just a few minutes away from the Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum is Baker Creek Seeds and Bakersville old time village. I've blogged before about the catalog. I use mostly Baker Creek's heirloom seed in my garden. I'm rarely disappointed. The seed is robust and delivers what is promised. I read their catalog like a bedtime story book. The pictures are rich and colorful. The selection is a bio-diverse dreamland.



I must say, though, that when I learned we would visit Baker Creek, I was worried that I had had it built up too much in my mind. Maybe I would be disappointed. Nothing could have been further from the truth. If I could have, I would have taken up employment and residence on the spot!

We missed June's festival by two days. That was disappointing. But, we were able to stroll around unhampered by the legendary crowds. Harriet's Mercantile was open, but there was a sign saying that if we wished to purchase anything to take it to the seed store. I had to purchase a jar of pickled okra. A must.


The apothecary was a pungent trip to the senses. There were handmade soaps and bags and bags of herbs and spices.

We continued strolling around the delightful place, peering into the flour mill, the blacksmith shop. We visited the community outdoor brick oven and the opry.

Bakersville boasts a delightful collection of exotic chickens, ducks, geese and turkeys. It made my longing for my own flock deepen.




Granny Flash sells Baker Creek Heirloom seed in her store, so I had to get a picture of her beside some of the seed shelves to show her customers.

After that, we ate in their restaurant, a fun, rustic place with a set menu. The intriguing thing about this restaurant is that they don't charge you. There is a donation jar on the counter. You pay what you think it was worth. The food was definitely worth a lot!

O.k. I'm totally sounding like an infomercial. Sorry. It just captured my imagination! If you ever get the chance, go!

I'm excited because I have my whole garden in, except strawberries that are still sitting in my fridge. The seedlings are coming up and looking healthy.

The grasshoppers are there, but are not eating much. I'm thinking that the Semaspore from last year is delivering on its promise to infect this year's crop of hoppers. Time will tell. - Nanette







No comments:

Followers