Monday, May 31, 2010

What To Do, What To Do!

Here are a couple of pictures of my kiddos playing baseball. Its fun to see my girly girl getting into the game!
Now, here's my dilemma. I've already had so many gardening woes this spring, I'm ready to quit for the year. My hanging gardens in the house got infested with gnats. I had to dump them out. Most of the tomatoes I planted in the hoophouse froze. The grasshoppers ate two large beds of basil as they came up in the hoop house. (I did borrow the neighbor's chickens and put in the hoop house with great success. There are now only a few grasshoppers to contend with.) The weather has been unbelievably cold and rainy. Tomorrow is June first and I haven't even planted my cold weather crops.
I truly am thinking about not doing much in the garden this year. That breaks my heart, but I'm discouraged about it. And tired. I feel like I wish communities did "plantings" for each other like they used to do barn raisings!
Bah humbug! - Nanette

1 comment:

nani said...

I just heard the man who gives gardening tips on the radio in the mornings here, say that the last week of May and the first week of June are the times to get you garden in. Things froze here just a week or so ago too so for this year before this was just too early. So, maybe not time to give up quite yet. We went for a walk on Sunday and met a neighbor who lives about 3 blocks away on another street say that she had potatoes and tomatoes and other things that froze last week so she is starting over. Wish we were closer so could help you!!

Followers