Friday, May 28, 2010

What Has Kept Me?

What has kept me, that my blog has been so long neglected? Certainly not desire. Blogging is an art expression, a therapy for me. I miss it when I don't have time for it. The last six weeks have been perfectly overwhelming to me. I don't even know if I can explain it all. I think I'll start with the most recent and work backwards. Yesterday was a Track and Field Day for the homeschoolers and private schools of our valley. Normally there are 500-600 kids in grades 1-6 who compete in the long jump, dash, relay, soft ball throw, sack race, and three legged race. Yesterday, however, was cold and rainy, and rainy and cold. Naturally, there were a few less athletes because of that. We, however, braved the discomfort, mostly because I'd agreed to supervise the 1st grade homeschool boys.
What a hoot! They were precious! They picked up a friendship and gabbed all day. I mused to myself over those who say that homeschooling does not allow for enough socialization. Could have fooled me! They were just as talkative and jolly and comfortable with each other as the kids from the other schools.
Mr. Blueberry Eyes was nervous at the beginning of the day, and stated his resentment that I didn't ask his permission before I signed him up for the event. (I replied rather undiplomatically that I was the Mom and didn't need to ask permission.) After a few minutes, however, that attitude faded away completely. He stated rather emphatically that he could win a ribbon. I encouraged him to just have fun. I didn't want him to be disappointed. He shocked me with two 8' jumps at the long jump! He had never practised this event! Then, at the dash, he proceeded to win 3rd place. At the soft ball throw, he took 6th, and at the 400 meter relay, his team took 2nd! They had gotton behind but he ran like the wind and made up the difference. Needless to say I was proud of him. And he was exceedingly proud of himself.
Then, Laughing Water's relay team took a fifth place ribbon. She was justly proud!

I just had to post these pictures. The kids' baseball coach let us borrow the pitching machine so the kids could practice their batting. I looked out my bedroom window to see this funny sight. My daughter, the Hutterite! Laughing Water may play a mean game of baseball, but she will always be a girly-girl!


One of the things keeping me the last six + weeks has been the baseball season. I've been running crazy trying to get the kids to their games and practices. They've done so well, and I'm particularly glad to see Laughing Water's imrovement in athletics. We've had a few hitches. Their team is young and have been matched with older, bigger, and more experienced teams. Naturally, they are scarier. But the worst night was when one of their teammates was up to bat and the ball came in a little too far left of the plate. Their teammate was whisked off to the hospital with a broken (badly) nose. It was traumatic and many of the kids wanted to quit the team then and there. But, bless their brave little hearts, they all stuck with it. The entire team has been afraid of the ball ever since, but, with the aid of face guards, they are really trying and are improving a great deal!
The other hitch was for me. I knew nothing about sports and didn't know the game of baseball well at all. Imagine my consternation when I was recruited to keep score for the game. Saying no was not taken as an answer! I was terrified! How could I keep official score for the team when I didn't even know the game! I was dropped into the middle of it, though. And I learned! I am now one of the scorekeepers and I know the game of baseball much better.
I have so much more to say. But I'll try to write more soon. TTFN - Nanette



3 comments:

nani said...

It is late so should be in bed but just had to check your blog and was well rewarded.Loved the picture and the text. Will look forward to the more. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, mommy. I have not been on my blog much ether.

Tanya said...

I didn't know you were scorekeeping for baseball! How fun! I would have loved to have helped you. :) I have always been a huge baseball fan, and played softball in high school. I had a mild baseball obsession when I was very young - perhaps not so mild, I was convinced I was going to be the first female major league player. Errrhmmm. Perhaps not. :) Glad you are successfully learning it, and having fun. Let me know if you need any help.

Followers