Monday, March 22, 2010

Spwinter

We're in the dreary days of spwinter - that time of year that can't decide if it is still winter or if we should venture into spring. I dislike this time of year the most! We've returned the kids' cross-country skis for the year. There isn't any snow to use them anyway. But neither can we break out the short sleeves and flip-flops. Spwinter. Bother!

The Wood Artist found this butterfly on a piece of firewood in the wood pile. Thinking it was likely dead, he brought it in the house. Not long after photographing the poor, deceased creature, it flew up to my ceiling. I guess the warm house had awakened him. Not sure how to best care for him, we talked to a ranger and he said it would be best to put him back into the cold so he could stay dormant or whatever you would call it, until there was something outside for him to eat. The next day, Mr. Blueberry Eyes was able to guide him outside without touching his wings.
Here's the view from one of our recent outings. This view never ceases to take my breath away. It is the view from where I spent most of my teenage life.
We're in Spring Break now. I set aside two weeks for it. We did some sewing together today. My goal for these two weeks is to sew, knit, work on some garden chores, and rest. Hopefully, I'll have something to show for it! If I do, I'll post pictures. - Nanette

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Spwinter! What a great name for it. It's spwinter here too. Yesterday it was gray, cloudy, rainy, and 50. I want to wear my flip flops!

Laughing Water said...

Haha spwiter I love it I need to use that on my blog. I Love you mommy.
See you,
Laughing Water

Anonymous said...

A little slow in visiting but your wintery butterfly is a Mourning Cloak (Nymphalis antiopa), one of the brush footed butterflies and Montana's state insect.

Followers