Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Buddy Dates and Predators

Mr. Blueberry Eyes and I went on a Buddy Date today. Uncle #1 was at therapy for his arm, so we had about an hour to spend. We went to our favorite coffee shop and ordered Chai Latte's. He got a Danish. Now you have to understand that our life has been crazy lately. With Uncle convalescing in Mr. Blueberry Eyes' room, the latter has been relegated to the couch. In the end, the poor little guy has not had much in the way of sweet bonding time with Mommy. Tensions have mounted and behavior has gone South. So, I thought a special time was in order. As we sat there, sumptuously sipping, I could see his tension ebbing away. We giggled together. He chided me for letting him eat sugar - all the while grinning from ear to ear. I considered the option of imparting some great wisdom, but in the end, opted to just enjoy the sweetness together. I want to be the kind of mother that imparts wisdom in meaningful ways, but I don't want my children to think that I only give them treats as an opportunity to lecture.
After that we walked along the street, peeping into windows and oohing and ahing over the beautiful things for sale. Sweet memories! Wonderful world sometimes!
The downer of the day came when our landlady came to inform us that there is a predator driving up and down our road trying to coax children into his car by asking them to help him find his dog. Fortunately, we live at the back of a long driveway and know everyone between us and the road. Still, I've shrunk the !kids' boundaries as a precaution. Horrible world, sometimes.
Nanette

No comments:

Followers