Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Barometric Pressure

A few years ago, I bought The Wood Artist this beautiful baraometer as a gift. Since then, we have enjoyed watching it and have noted the changes in the weather and looked to see if there is a correlation to the level in the tube. I noticed when I was reading the directions at first that it said that if the spout ever overflowed, you should take cover as there was likely a tornado or hurricane.
A few days ago, we saw this sight. It was about a half inch from the top. We indeed had a large weather system moving through, but were amazed that it was so high. Then, two days later, the spout overflowed! I didn't know what to do! The weather outside was thickly overcast, but other than that, fine. I tried to call the weather station all afternoon, but couldn't get through. I will admit I had felt awful all day - lethargic, pressure in my ears.
Does anyone know what caused this? Was there a correlation as to how I was feeling? I'd be interested in your comments.

In other news. I haven't posted much lately because my internet wasn't working well and I've also been overwhelmed with this Kenyan Orphanage project. It is coming along splendidly. My last thing I'm praying for is a good rototiller and some tools for them. Someone already donated $250 towards the tiller! This is a huge prayer for me as I feel that now that they have their well, they should have the tools they need to grow a good garden! This will help feed those malnurished little bodies.
I'm so looking forward to life getting back to normal. I want to feel what it is like to feel rested again! Nanette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nan - I think your weather instrument uses barometric pressure when the water rises. Have you called the weatherman from a TV station? They may give you a clue. Also, what kind of yarn is that. In AK some yarn comes from the musk ox called Quivet - very expensive but very warm. I believe it is combined with a stronger yarn to hold it's shape. Cathy

Anonymous said...

Are you talking about the yarn I spin? It is wool. I can't wear it, so I want to get some merino wool or alpaca and give that a try.
Yes, my barometer uses water. I put it in there myself. I've just never had it overflow and assumed that in my climate where we don't have hurricanes or tornadoes it would never overflow. I was puzzled when it did.

Followers