Thursday, October 30, 2008

Spinning Yarns




When I was a teenager, a relative gave me a spinning wheel. I was fascinated with the idea of spinning and tried for a while to do it. But I didn't have anyone around who could help me with the details and I eventually became discouraged and gave up. My wheel sat in storage for over 20 years while I always thought that someday I would learn the craft.

A few weeks ago, I took my children on a home school field trip to a local fiber mill. While I was there, I became friends with a lady who was demonstrating how a spinning wheel works. Laughing Water showed great interest and I scheduled a lesson on spinning. It didn't take long for the feel to come back to me and I've had some great relaxing times with my spinning wheel the last couple of weeks. Laughing Water is picking it up quickly, too, despite tension trouble with her rented wheel.

Spinning your own yarn is not cheaper, nor is it the most time efficient. But it is fun. And it is a great skill to know. It is one of those things that gives you a feeling of self-sufficiency. - Nanette

4 comments:

momof4boys said...

Oh Nan, I wish I had one of those. I've always wanted to do that. I have been trying to be as self sufficient as possible lately. We have been drying the clothes on drying racks so as not to use the dryer and electricity so much. We can boil water on the woodstove for dishes and baths and stuff. I'm trying to design a washing machine that doesn't use electricity eather. I cooked some of supper on the woodstove tonight. I wish we were totally off of the grid. Wouldn't that be great. Need you to teach me how to spin so that when I get my alpakas I can spin their wool. (hmmm, all dreams!)

momof4boys said...

Uh, sorry for all the miss-spelled words. That was bad!

Me, Myself & My Boys said...

ohhh I remember my grandmother dong that every day! She was teaching me as well. I loved it! Miss those times with her!

Anonymous said...

Momof4boys: Are you truly getting alpacas? The Wood Artist and I really want llamas or alpacas, but cannot while we live in this rental.

Me,Myself &amp: What neat memories!

Followers