Monday, October 13, 2008

Fruit Leather


I haven't posted much lately because we've been flat out racing to keep up with the harvest! I have a thing for dehydrating food. Maybe it is because my Dad is the local dehydrating guru and teaches classes on it. I've heard him lecture on the increased nutrition of food preserved this way and the benefits of storing larger quantities of food in smaller areas. (A big plus for my small abode.)
Anyway, I decided that this was the year to stock up a bit. I went to a local fresh fruit market and asked if they had any overripe fruit. They did and for a great price, too. So I put the fruit into my blender and pureed it and spread it on my dehydrator sheets that are made especially for leather. My kids love the fruit leather/treats from the store, but I don't like them to eat a lot of it because it usually has food dyes and sugar (not that we eat a totally sugar-free diet, mind you). Or, if you can get a wholesome kind, it is expensive.
So after drying it, I roll it up in plastic wrap and cut it into 1 1/2" or so strips. I store it in buckets with screw-top lids so the kids can easily access it for snacks/hiking food. I experimented with yummy combinations. Lastnight I tried a batch of pear/banana/peanut butter. It really was not as good as I expected. And, with the p.b., it will need to be used quickly so it doesn't go rancid from the oils. In the end, I discovered that Mr. Blueberry Eyes does NOT like pear leather. Fortunately, most of what I made was peach, nectarine, or those mixed with plums.
Several of you have conatacted me saying that it is difficult to leave a comment. I changed my settings a bit, so I hope that makes it easier. I really like the comments! Keep them coming!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just needed to see if this comment thing was going to work for me now. By the way, I've really enjoyed preserving food this year too. We have so much blueberries and strawberries in the freezer but I'm beginning to think that a freezer is nice only when you have consistant electricity!
Julie

Laura said...

I loved the fruitleathers, i think i ate 4 or 5 after our short 20 min walk, imagine how many i would of required if we had a longer walk or hike? Yummy, you amaze me. i want to be just like you when i grow up and do everything you do, can I? can I? love ya, laura

Anonymous said...

I'm so inspired with all of the yummy things you make with fresh produce! What kind of dehydrator do you use?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to take so long to answer this. I have an Excalibur Food Dehydrator with 9 trays. It has great, even heat and a thermostat. The only downfall is that it is often too small to process a big batch of fruit. I'm hoping The Wood Artist will make me a big one someday

Followers