Wednesday, June 22, 2022


                                                              Utter Shock

 My head is fuzzy. Her voice sounds so far away, this lovely young doctor. My eyes wander to the blood drying on the hospital sheet.  It’s just a spatter from the IV, but I focus on it.  It seems the only tangible thing I can see.  Somehow I sense the gentle pressure of my friend’s hand on mine and I wonder if I’m squeezing hers too hard. My eyes can’t focus for the spots all  around them.  I try to see my husband, frozen in shock, unable to rise from his chair.


“I’m afraid I have bad news.” Bad? I’d cancelled my last two students because I was coughing and wheezing and wanted to go to urgent care. But now I’m in ER. Five minutes ago, I’d thought it was all just an overreaction and I was laughing and talking with the nurses. “You have a mass in your lung…metastasis…spots…liver….bones…cancer.”


“But I’ve never smoked.” Oh, God! Liver? Bones? Doesn’t that mean death? I hear myself say, "Well, I’m mean. I’m not afraid to die, but… but…I want to be around for grandbabies." What about my calling to help children read?  I was just starting to roll on a big, big expansion for children. My master’s program. I was going to write. Travel. Static closes in and expands out and then in again. Funny how fast your brain processes...and how slow.


I tell the doctor I’m trying to focus on what she is saying, but I can’t. Can she please write it down? David and I have so many dreams. We’d just said to each other - wasn’t it just last week - that we would have to die on the same day because we couldn’t face a life without the other. The memory mocks.


I hear a soft voice. Far away.  Is it mine? I’m acknowledging the doctor, but what am I saying? I think I’m saying, “Oh.”


I finally hear my beloved, “Are you sure? Couldn’t it be something else? What causes lung cancer in people  who don’t smoke?” 


“Bad luck.”


It all blurs. He is standing by me now. I think I’m looking at him. “Are you okay?”


“No,” he says. No. We are not okay.


I’m so cold. I hear my friend (wildly, the hospital chaplain on duty- another story for another time) say, “She is in shock. Can we get her a warm blanket?” The nurse is so sweet and I feel bad that I can’t acknowledge her. I focus on the blood again.  It’s concrete.  I’m waiting for the wake-up  part of this nightmare.  It will be such a relief.


David helps me to the bathroom and I think I’m swaying.  I cling to his neck.  “You didn’t sign up for this.” We’ve worked so hard and now I’m going to die before we can enjoy it all…what exactly?


Somehow we walk out. I take in the breathtaking beauty of the May evening, the Montana mountains lighting up in the sunset. We cling to each other. 


We zoom with the kids. I try my best to smile and assure them I’ll fight like hell.  But how do you fight death, exactly? They sob and I feel horrible. They are both finishing up heavy assignments at school two states away. I can’t hug them. Jalen vomits and I can’t hold him. I’m utterly  powerless. 


The night is filled with sobs. First one, then the other. Rotating. Promises in the night. I'll never remarry.” 


“Please don’t say that!”


“Oh, God! My family!”



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nanette, thank you for being painfully vulnerable!
You remind me of Laura Story's song, "Blessings."
Thank you for showing us how to live!

Marci McMurphy said...

You have such a way with words. Thank you for being real and telling the truth of what you and your family are experiencing. Thank you.

When I saw you at graduation, I was so happy you called out to me. I was so busy flitting around trying to ensure everyone in my family was taken care of. Then after the first "Hi! So good to see you!" I thought "This is a happy occasion, should I say something?" So, I didn't acknowledge the elephant. I am sorry for not being brave and for not having the "right" words (whatever those are).

Please know that you are prayed for and that you are loved. May God continue to hold you and your family near as you wage this war. Please let me know how I can help... what battle station I can hold for you.

As we say in my family "much love!"

Northl said...

Sending continuous prayers

Anonymous said...

You are one Amazing young lady! May our Lord wrap his arms around you, gently yet firm & guide you and all around your recovery journey. 🙏🏼🙏🏼

Anonymous said...

And so you tread the sacred soil of grief and loss where love is distilled in its purist form, untainted by promises of reciprocation.

Sylvia Mason said...

I just read this one. Wow! You are amazing! It’s hard to believe what you are going through!! You have me crying now! The following song has been a comfort to me.
When I see my Savior hanging on Calvary
Bearing there for sinners, bitterest agony,
Gratitude o’er whelms me, makes mine eyes grow dim.
All my ransomed being captive is to Him.

I can see those blood drops, red ‘neath the thorny crown,
From the cruel nail wounds, now they are falling down.
Lord if I would wander from thy love away,
Let me see those blood drops, she’d for me that day.

“Why hast thou forsaken,” list to that sad sad moan,
Oh His heart was broken, suffering there alone,
Broken there that mortals n’er need cry in vain
For God’s love and mercy, in the hour of pain!

Anonymous said...

Tears…. Sharing must be therapeutic for you, but it is also a blessing to me. Thank you. I’m hugging you in prayer.♥️

Jen O’Connell said...

I have never heard this moment described so perfectly. I have experienced it twice. But you really captured it.
I grieve with you and for you and your family. Because this is difficult.
You will be in my prayers daily. You are a wonderful person and I know you will find strength daily. Because if I have learned one thing alone it is that I was gifted strength to make it through my own journeys—step by step. And I know you will too.

Gwen Goff said...

Nanette, thinking about you both, what a road to have headed down. We serve a God of wonders & miracles, He healed whole towns just by walking thru them! He has a plan for even this, stay strong, stay hopeful & dig deep to fight the good fight! You have a whole family out here praying for you!
Love ya,
Gwen

Anonymous said...

Nanette, sitting here reading your truth put so graciously and real bring tears to my eyes. As a mother I’m sure there more worries for those around you then anything else. But remember Jesus is awake when you rest. He loved you and your family before you even knew they were formed. Praying for your strength and courage in the coming days and journey ahead.
Even in the darkest times you’re never alone.

Love and hugs to you.
Ramona

Anonymous said...

Oh, Nanette, I am so sorry to hear this news! My heart just feels broken for you!! And yet, God is still good, and we trust him even in the hard things. We have walked through cancer and it’s metastasis to the brain for years with my mother-in-law. It can be a long journey, but God has always shown himself to be very present and faithful, He will be with you each moment in the valley, holding your hand each step of the way. My family and I will be praying for you and for your family!! Sending my love to you! ❤️

Anonymous said...

The note above is with love,
from Jenae Schmautz, a Heritage friend ❤️

Followers