Sunday, June 26, 2022


 Short Update

This will be a short update. I feel like I seared everyone with the post about my initial diagnosis. I have one more bummer to share and then I promise the next will be more fun. 

The brain MRI I had to "rule out" brain mets actually showed that I have many spots on both sides of my brain. That was a bad morning - especially because I made the mistake of checking my patient portal at 4 in the morning and discovered the news. Not much sleep was had after that. The oncology center, however, fast tracked me through more diagnostics and outfitted me with a CT mask and I start radiation this week.

I also have very, very good news. My primary cancer testing came back from Mayo clinic and shows the genetic mutation EGFR on area 19. This means it is a specific cancer mutation that is responding very well to the newish targeted therapy drugs. It is giving people YEARS of quality life and there are new generations about to come out of testing. My doctor was thrilled, so of course, that gives me so much hope. Apparently, this particular drug also crosses the blood/brain barrier better than some, so the brain will be hit from two angles.

Some specific prayers:

* Financial grants through the drug company will clear quickly so I can start the targeted therapy soon.

* Praise that I don't have to have full-brain radiation and that the targeted radiation will be thorough with minimal side effects.

* Thanksgiving that Friday's terrible, horrible, no-good day in ER appears to have been the result of a stomach bug and NOT the cancer.

* Prayers that my breathing will be easier with a meds change until the therapy starts.

                                                                                - Nanette

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My prayers continually ascend for you- I am thankful but also so much in awe of your courage and happy spirit! Here's to winning this fight! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Prayers continue for you. And I did share and ask my church family to pray for you and your family. 💜

Anonymous said...

Nan, our entire church is praying for you! Praying throughout the day for you! Praying for God’s divine will and healing! Much love!

Jeff Crisp said...

Praying for you!

Darlene Schott said...

Nanette, great news. Continued prayers for you and your family.

Buffi said...

Oh Nanette, your posts are wonderful. They keep us informed, up to date, hoping, and praying with both thanksgiving and desire. Thank you especially for your specific prayer list. It’s beautiful and helpful. We love you.

Barbara said...

I'm thankful with you for the bright light and good news shining on your path. Our God is all powerful and can do the impossible. Ephesians 3:20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we ask or think according to the power that worketh in us."

Ramona said...

I’m so so glad you have this space to be open and share the good, the bad and the ugly.
Thankful for the hope that you’ve been given with the new therapy. Will pray for courage and strength for every day ahead.

Followers