Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Oh, Summer, Where Art Thou?

This is a picture of one of my life's great memories. My 80 year old grandmother came from North Dakota for my brother's wedding. After the festivities, she, and the other relatives stayed an extra day - a rare thing for them. They wanted to go to our local nature reserve and see the sights. We took them hiking to one of our favorite lakes, a five mile trek on a rather uneven trail.

We stopped at my favorite, upturned tree for the photo above. Grandma hiked with the best of us, charging up the trails and stopping only to check on those who had fallen behind.

What an amazing legacy she's given us. She re-inspired me to stay strong and healthy so I can continue enjoying life! Thanks, Grandma, for showing your daughters, granddaughters, and great-granddaughters the way! I want to be just as strong as you are when I'm 80!
In other news, summer is being a naughty child who doesn't come when called. We spent Independence Day gathered around a campfire, wishing for hot chocolate rather than the coolers of water and pop that were there. Lastnight, I was working late in my office and had to start a fire in the woodstove to keep warm.
My garden is less than thrilled. The zucchinis are not much bigger than the last picture I showed you. Inside the hoop house, however, things are going much better. The kiddos picked three trash sacks full of kale for me on Sunday. I made a banana/strawberry/kale smoothie for my lunch today. I also put flax oil in it. Yummy!
Today, I did get out to weed the beans and put twine on the green bean tipi. I might try to get out there again tonight.
Yesterday, I visited a new doctor who seems to know an amazing amount of balancing ones' hormones. I'm so excited to have met her. Hopefully things will go well with her natural prescriptions.
Just checking in, Nanette

1 comment:

ConundrumChum said...

I will send you some summer, it is really hot here.

I am laughing over banana, strawberry and kale.

Your Grandma looks amazing!

Followers