Saturday, December 26, 2009

Handiwork of The Wood Artist

I have long intended to show some of the work The Wood Artist does. It is far past time. I don't have room to feature anywhere near the work he has done in these few posts, but I thought that I would share what he has done since November. This is a candleholder that was my Christmas present this year. It is the first in a set of 3 floor candleholders that I have requested. It is a sentimental piece because the wood came from a windbreak on my grandmother's ranch in North Dakota. My mother had to weed the trees in that windbreak when she was young. The wood is an aromatic juniper and boasts a sensational burgundy color that we have not found in any other wood. The Wood Artist used an oil-based sealer and was pleased that it preserved the rich color. This is a spalted birch piece that I got for my birthday.
The following posts feature other pieces that he made for other family members. He turns them on a wood lathe. He has never sold any of his pieces, but I think he could. The wood has to go through a long drying process so that is doesn't split. He makes a plan for each piece, but it often takes on a different pattern than he planned. Perhaps a pithy part needs to be taken out, or a fabulous color or fungus pattern preserved. It is as if each piece tells him what it wants to be.

No comments:

Followers