Friday, December 25, 2009

And to all a good night!


I know my posting has been scarce lately. I have plenty to say, but have been completely caught up with the season and family issues - some good, some very difficult. But, I promised I would try to keep my blog positive and save my downers for my journal!
It is Christmas night as I post this and I'm curled up on my couch with Laughing Water sitting beside me, smelling of freshly shampooed hair. We've had quite a holiday so far.
It all started last Saturday with a wonderful time with friends where we took this picture. That night was our annual pilgrimage to our local Christmas play. It was a delightful rendition of "A Christmas Carol". I made it only part way through, though, and spent much of the rest of the night in the E.R. with a loved one. (There's the "not-so-good" part.)
The next day, I snuck away from my household duties to try to get to the matinee performance with my Brother M.P. who had also missed the performance. It was fabulous!
The rest of the week was filled to brim with Christmas preparations. Lastnight found my family trickling in. Most of them actually spent the night with us, which was so fun! We had our traditional hot dogs and sauerkraut (homemade this time) and biscuits and gravy and lots of goodies. I tried a yummy brussel sprouts with candied, spiced pecans dish that I will definitely repeat! Then we gathered around the Christmas tree while The Wood Artist read the Christmas story to us. Then we opened presents. Brother Shnicklefritz spoiled us dreadfully! He gave so many gifts I'm afraid my children will be ruined! My Mom surprised us with snowshoes! Boy, are we excited to hit the woods! Alas! We have to wait for snow! The Wood Artist made some amazing works of art that I will feature soon.
This morning we had a Christmas brunch with my grandmother's buttermilk pancake recipe. My mom and I tried a low-calorie option that was amazing! We shredded an apple and mixed it with some cinnamon and Splenda fresh grated nutmeg. (I would have used stevia, but I was fresh out.) Then we put it in halves on the griddle with about three tablespoons of pancake batter on each half and cooked it until done. Then we topped with cinnamon and some whipped cream. SO, SO yummy!!!!! I will repeat that again, too!
After brunch, Brother Medic left for awhile. The rest of us played a game my Dad got for Christmas called "Would You Rather..." It is highly recommended. I will treasure the memories of watching my family hooting and screeching with laughter and groaning over the ridiculously impossible scenarios. A highlight was watching Granny Flash slow dance with a mop just to achieve the next level of the game! Delicious!
In the afternoon Brother M.P. and Brother Shnicklefritz helped Mr. Blueberry Eyes put together a rocket that was supposed to shoot 11oo feet into the air. Shortly before dark, we all trapsed out for the grand launching. It certainly didn't disappoint us. As the rocket shot into the stratosphere, so did my son's opinion of his Uncles!
Then came our traditional vegetarian Christmas dinner. Yummy! Now we are tired and in various states of retirement. My dad and The Wood Artist are discussing religion and I hear quiet murmuring from Mr. Blueberry Eyes' room where Granny is also retiring.
It will take me a week to recover, but we did have a great Christmas! I hope you did, too! - Nanette

No comments:

Followers