Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Random Musings

* My elephant head and other species of amaranth is doing well. (See left)
*I've learned that saw dust works just fine for cat litter. Who knew? That discovery will save me some pennies.
*The kids started back in music lessons today and I was proud of how well they did after a summer break!
*Have I said before that I love barter? The Wood Artist helped a lady move in trade for a matching set of Dillard's sheets and duvet

cover in colors I love!
*Having a really hard time sleeping lately, in spite of taking melatonin, which usually works like a drug for me!
*Slowly recovering from a cold, fever, aches. Guess I got cocky about my dependable natural remedies!
*Started homeschool yesterday. Having a blast. Mr. Blueberry Eyes (pictured here with a chair contraption he was enjoying while camping) is in first grade now. Laughing Water is in 5th grade.
*Took a lot of pickling cukes and green beans to a cousin today. I'm sick of canning them!
*Picked wonderberries at a friend's last Thursday night. Made a wonderful crisp. Tonight had hemp ice cream with wonderberry sauce over it. Yummy!
*I'm putting off shopping. We need clothes! I don't like shopping. (Shocking, I know. Yes, I am a woman, but I don't like shopping for clothes. I do, mind you, like the trip home, knowing I've found some useful things and don't have to do that again for a while.)
*The Wood Artist is enjoying making some huckleberry pickers. More on that if it works.
*I felt so tired and out of sorts this afternoon that I thought about calling my old house cleaner (back when I was working more) to come help me. Laughing Water said, "No, Mommy! We can do it!" So we worked out a deal. She does more of the chores than she would normally do and I pay her. Win, win. I pay less; it stays in the family. I'm happy.
* I love correcting Laughing Water's math. She lays out the tidiest math paper of any student I've ever had!
*I'm so excited about teaching history and science this year! Love it, love it!
*I'm thankful for our library system. I can "shop" from home (computer) and pick the books up in a quick stop! It rocks!
Gotta go tuck kids in bed. - Nanette

4 comments:

momof4boys said...

Well Nan, I finally found something we differ on. I love shopping for clothes but I hate shopping for food! Too bad I have to do the food thing a whole lot more often then the clothes thing.
School is also wonderful this year. We've been doing it for about 3 weeks now and the kids are really loving it. I'm trying out the sequential spelling this year as my kids are horrible spellers. I can't seem to find a conventional program that works for Caleb but his reading has improved and I'm hoping for miracles with the sequential spelling program. Love it so far!
Julie

angela said...

HI...

We start back to music lessons tomorrow! Actually have one daughter having neck problems due to being too intense on the violin, so taking a break and enjoying the cello. It really pays to be hyper-vigilant with the teachers about posture, etc... it's only part of the trouble for Bri... but still.

We love going to the library online, too... only they ship the books to my mailbox for me. No postage due.

Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with you about shopping, too! One big stress if you ask me! Glad your year is beginning on such a positive way!Btw, how much melatonin do you take as a sleeping aid, and is there a certain kind you'd recommend?
~Lynn

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lynn,

I prefer the Sleep Well drops with melatonin. They work fast and best for me. I take about 1 dropper full. The last time I purchased Melatonin, though, I got tablets and I have to take 2 and they take a long time to start working, if they work at all. - Nanette

Followers