Thursday, October 27, 2022


   To Live Like You Are Dying

Bear with me here. This is a very real post, but not as morbid as it sounds.

When I was diagnosed on May 11, my world came crashing down. Our family went into survival mode for months. There were ups and downs - mostly downs. As I struggled for air, balance, and for the reversal of alarming decline, I held onto hope. The doctors said I would respond quickly to the targeted meds (in my case, Tagrisso), but had we started soon enough? None of us knew.

Once I started feeling the positive changes, my energy was still minimal and I lived in a fog of morphine and exhaustion. I looked with anticipation to when I would feel better.

It came as a total surprise that when my energy and overall health started to pick up my heart and mind crashed. It was like I was diagnosed all over again. The doctor told me he had high hopes for several years of remission. But what I focused on was - what then? 

I talked to several trusted people and said, "I don't know how to live like I'm dying. It's a life skill I never learned." I really love that Tim McGraw song, but sky diving isn't my thing and I can tell you I wouldn't make it 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fu Man Chu. I knew what I wanted. I wanted to live a long life filled with my family and grandchildren and to feel like I was making a different in the lives of students. Those weren't things I could just check off a bucket list.

And so, I struggled. Hard. (So many of you have commented on how strong and brave I am, but I don't deserve those adjectives. I am neither. If I could sign up for an easier path, believe me, I would run to do so.) Yes, I absolutely believe God can perform a miracle. Yes, I trust Him to do what is best. I just don't know how to live in the face of my future. Several very wise people have encouraged me to dare to dream again. 

I'm coming to a few conclusions:

1. I'm not going to live like I'm dying. That's just depressing. It's silly, too, because we just don't know.

2. I'm going to revel in the beautiful moments with all of my people.

3. I'm going to focus on the opportunities to bless others- however feeble my capacities are. 

4. I'm going to keep fighting. Today that looks like exercising, keeping my mind busy with research and ideas for students. It looks like resting when I need to and eating my veggies. It looks like telling my people how much they mean to me. It even means delving into the medical bills - again. Sigh.

C.S. Lewis once spoke to the issue of how to live in the atomic age under the threat of nuclear warfare and I've taken his wisdom deep into my heart. 

"This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds.”


Thank you for allowing me to untangle my thoughts, pull myself together, and fight the urge to let cancer dominate my mind. There is so much more to life than dying.

                                                                                                                 -Nanette
P.S. I've recently found out how many of you are interceding for me - not just casually praying, but really interceding. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
PPS. I have my next brain MRI tomorrow. Please pray for peace.

14 comments:

Martha said...

I love this. You know, I often have thought along those same lines. ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

Love your conclusions, they are helpful for all of us. Hope you are blessed with many years of health.

Anonymous said...

It's been a privilege to follow your blog and see the battle that you have overcome. 25 years ago, I was told by a doctor that I would be in a wheelchair within 5 years and I needed to stay quiet and rest to avoid crippling events
but another doctor told me to do whatever I felt I could and if I had a bad day to pamper myself. 25 years later, I still hike, swim and snowshoe. I get up, shower, get dressed eat breakfast and then decide how I feel and most days are fun and productive. I could die tomorrow but for today I will enjoy my life.

Anonymous said...

We have congregations and groups, as well as in our daily prayers, Nan!
Much love!
Terah

Barbara said...

I love your conclusions. They are good. May today be full of connections and beauty in the middle of the hard.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Good thoughts. Praying!

Anonymous said...

Yes! What an uplifting post and great post crom C.S. LEWIS. Thank you.

Someone over 100 was asked about her long life. She said she was too busy living to worry about dying.

Lori said...

I love your transparency…..and your conclusions, dear Nanette…you live like your living and fight! We are here to cheer with you, cry with you, enjoy life with you, etc… Praying continually for you!

Cathy said...

Thank you for your real thoughts. It is a reminder to love the simple things in the moments of daily life. Prayers

Sylvia Mason said...

Thank you for that good report!! We do pray daily for your progress!! And for your family!
I know the feeling of living like I’m dying, but I too have made up my mind to plan on living, to focus on what Jesus has done for me, and on all the beauty He gives me in nature and the love of my family!!
As times goes by I get more confident, and yet I seek to hold loosely to the things of this life and hang tightly to Jesus and the eternity He has promised to those who love Him!!
Keep the faith! He holds your hand!

Anonymous said...

I like the conclusion you have come to. I too have decided to cherish life and loved ones. Though knowing how is the hard part, but we continue to learn.

Anonymous said...

Well said Nanette, we cannot live in fear, Jesus tells us not to, yet, like you said, that is not easy. You are in my thoughts & prayers sister, you've got this! We just have to remember that Jesus has our backs, he knows us thru & thru, knows what we are capable of, what we can handle & how that witness will help those around us. God bless you & the fam with peace, strength, comfort, continued faith & hope!! Love ya... ❤️🙏❤️🙏❤️

Jodi said...

Dear Nanette,
I am a wife and mother, like you. I went to school with David, Laurinda, and Ray. I have so enjoyed your posts through the years, on FB. Your writing gift, certainly exhibited in these posts, continues to bloom radiantly, in your blog. Even amidst this excruciating challenge of cancer, you share beauty, humor and learning, so artfully expressed. THANK YOU! Congratulations. You have already met your goal, of blessing those around you.
Wishing you many abundant meaningful moments, with your people, and God's overwelming blessings , for your days ahead. And now a bit of humor someone shared with me... While shopping at Walmart, I think they intend for me to decorate my Christmas tree, while eating my Thanksgiving dinner, as I'm festooned in my Halloween costume. 😊

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update! Enjoy the moments, we so often miss them in our busy lives.

Followers