Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Ski In the Night

If there is one thing I love, one thing that invigorates, yet relaxes me, its cross country skiing.  I found the pristine snow covered hills of the Palouse country absolutely irresistable last December while visiting family.  The Wood Artist snapped these pictures after I'd sliced through the perfection.

Lastnight, the call of the wild came again.  There would be a moonlight ski led by a ranger.  The winter winds were whipping and we really didn't know if we should attempt it.  I figured it would be cancelled.  We left the kids with Grandparents and decided to give it a try.  Imagine my surprise when there were 55 people waiting for the rangers!  We were in a relatively sheltered area where the winds were a non-event.  We skiid for 3-4 miles, hearing stories of nature and Native American lore.  The swish of 110 skis and the chk, chk of 110 poles, faceless rangers in the dark, telling stories was a charming experience! The moon never did show its face, but we had fun!  Next time, I think we'll go by ourselves, or with a small group.  We'll take the kids.  And we'll tell stories.

In other news, the winter is grinding away.  I'm having difficulty providing enough exercise for the kids.  Getting together with friends has been a bit sketchy this winter, too.  I'm learning a sad fact that when you commit to a debt-free lifestyle and the chips are down, friends you never thought would go away, do.  They stop inviting you to go along down-hill skiing or out to dinner.  You have to forego your kids' friends' birthday parties because they require an expensive hotel stay in another town.  Its isolating.  And that makes me sad.  Life comes with enough tough decisions without having to forego time with those you love.

On a positive note, our immediate family has had a very sweet, bonding winter.  We've turned to the simple joys in life - board games, stories, puzzles.  We've laughed together.  That makes us rich beyond measure. - Nanette

1 comment:

ConundrumChum said...

I have only been cross country skiing one time and loved it. That night time ski seems amazing.

I am sorry about foregoing activities. Every account I have read about people giving up all debt does talk about the loneliness and friends not understanding.

Spring is around the corner and then you will be in your wonderful garden. Hang in there!

Followers