Saturday, April 23, 2016

Season's Beginnings II

 One of the most exciting things happening in the garden this spring is the plethora of blossoms on some of my fruit trees.  I'm so excited to see what kind of a harvest we will have.  This is a pear tree.
 Those beehives in the background may be part of the success this year.
 A promising bud on an apple tree.

 I decided to try for myself the newly popular honeyberry. I purchased three bushes. There are two things that make this seem like a good idea.  Honeyberries are extremely cold hardy, reaching into zone 2. Also, unlike blueberries, they don't require a highly acidic soil. We have alkaline soil and, despite my efforts to change the pH of my soil, my blueberries haven't thrived. I'm looking forward to seeing if this berry will be a good fit for us.
 More Apple blossoms coming on.
 The elderberry bush is thriving!
 This old girl is quite the trooper. Puffle is five years old (as are my five other hens) and still looks lovely. She lays eggs and tenderly tends them. I'm still trying to figure out how to put the young pullets in with the older hens.  I have a few more weeks to figure it out.
 This is the first year that our plum tree is going crazy with blossoms. Its hard not to get excited!
 A shot of the other plum varieties grafted onto the same stock.
One of the currant bushes....

There is so much happening, I know there will be many more photo opportunities soon. - Nanette

1 comment:

nani said...


Looks like a wonderful beginning to the fruit season!!

Followers