Sunday, January 26, 2014

Homemade Laundry Soap

I've had some people ask for my laundry soap recipe lately, so here it is.  I got this from the "Back Porch" magazine a couple of years ago.  Making my own laundry soap is so easy and has save me a pile of dollars!  Laughing Water makes it for me now.


                                           Homemade Laundry Soap


* 1/3 bar of Fels Naptha soap
*1/2 c. washing soda (not baking soda!)
*1/2 c. borax powder

- You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size.
Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan.  Add 6 cups of water and heat it until the soap melts.  Add the washing soda and borax and stir until it is dissolved.  Remove from heat.  Pour 4 cups of hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir.  Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir.  Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel.  You use 1/2 cup per load.

Note: The finished soap will not be a solid gel.  It will be more of a watery gel that looks a bit like "egg noodle soup".

The soap is a low sudsing soap.  So, if you don't see suds, don't worry.  They say it is not the suds that do the cleaning.

Tips:  I love to add a few drops of essential oils, like lavender or citrus to the soap.  It makes it smell so fresh.  I also shred several bars of the Fels Naptha soap at a time and store it in a jar.  This saves time when it is time to make up a batch.

Enjoy! - Nanette

No comments:

Followers