Sunday, March 27, 2011

Starting the Gardening Season

Its starting early, this obsession of mine.  This time, it seems to be biting the kids, too.  And The Wood Artist.  Maybe it is the dragging on of our La Nina winter.  (Although, I must say, we didn't get hit as hard as the rest of the nation.)  Whatever it is, its motivating me.  Seeds have been arriving.  I actually took the time to plan out the whole garden on graph paper.  That was definitely to get me through a few dreary days. 
 Last week, we decided to try our luck at planting some kale, raddichio and peas in the hoop house.  As you can see, it was still "a little" on the chilly side.
 The chive patch is "coming to", already.
 Mr. Blueberry Eyes helped dig the patch up.  I was sifting through the soil, picking out the dreaded quack grass roots, when a huge vole seemed to appear out of nowhere.  Yes, I screamed like a girl!  Poor thing took of running and disappeared further down hoop house.
 It felt strange to be planting seeds when there is snow on the ground, but it was cathartic!
Lastnight, a few friends came over for the evening.  Two of the ladies are gardeners.  It was fun to visit and share ideas.  We shared catalogs, swapped technique information, and divulged our favorite finds. One of them lives really close to me, and I'm looking forward to sharing this summer with each other. The other of them stayed until 12:45 a.m.  She is older than me, but is such a kindred spirit that one forgets all age differences!  Bless her!  I'm just so grateful for the richness that my friends bring to my life.  Here's to the salt of the earth folks out there!  - Nanette

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE!!!!!!!!!! This gets me going. The miracle that happens when seeds meet earth.....awe, yes.
God is good.

Granny Flash said...

Well, anonymous is Granny Flash. I did something wrong. LOL

Followers