Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Quiets Moments of Learning

Our home school year has been, well, interesting.  It has been fun, hard, frustrating, exhilerating, educational (imagine that!)  I tried not to photograph the bad days.  I apoligize if that seems inauthentic.  I don't think you'd really want to see us in tears. Here are some peeks into our year.

 Since we follow a quasi-classical approach, we are in the second year of Laughing Water's second trivium and the same in Mr. Blueberry Eyes' first trivium. That means we're studying medieval history.  For our literature, we are reading biographies/stories of people who lived around this time period.  Our first book was about Polycarp, early Christian bishop of Smyrna.  He was martyred for his faith.  In honor of his sacrifice, and to remind ourselves of the "sweet savour" our lives are to God, we burned a yummy scented candle each time we read the book.
 In science, we're studying botany.  Here are the scholars, toiling over their leaf classifications.  We also just mounted a huge seed  collection on a cardboard sewing board.  I'll try to post pictures of that soon.
 Early in the year, Laughing Water hurt her ankle and was forced to do her school in a convalescing manner (bother!).  The Mighty Hunting Hound didn't mind.
 Here's a closer shot of the  "poor, unloved" creature!
One of the aspects of education that I wanted to make a strength this year was art.  I haven't done as well as I had planned, but, we have done some cool things.  Here, Mr. Blueberry Eyes is working on a tracing/drawing of a Viking Longhouse.

Laughing Water also joined a drama class this year and is enjoying working up an excerpt of Peter Pan with her team.  She gets to be Wendy.

I really should get more pictures of our activities.  I think it would help me remember the good things when I worry about what we might miss.  - Nanette

1 comment:

nani said...

Thank you so much for the pictures and sharing what you are teaching and learning. These are truly special days that you will long remember along with what is learned.

Followers