Monday, October 12, 2009

First Step

This is a picture of Mr. Blueberry Eyes threatening to eat the whole lot of huckleberries we had picked one day this summer. It was that day that an idea for a children's book came to my mind. I wrote the story in my head while I was working my way through a patch. Over the next several days, I edited it in my head. Then I sent it to a friend to have it edited. She liked it and suggested that I send it to an editor she knew. I was nervous, because I've heard how difficult it can be to get a manuscript looked at, let alone accepted!

Imagine my delight when another friend invited me to a children's conference where one of the main speakers would be this editor! I was SO excited! This weekend we went to that conference. I was looking for just the right opportunity to talk with him and it "just happened" that we had to wait outside of a conference room for the next meeting. EVERYONE ELSE walked away and I was left standing there with him alone! I thought to myself, "Well, I think this would be it!" He asked me to send it to him via email and then asked what the gist of it was. When I told him the short version, he said he liked it!

So, today, I emailed the manuscript to him. It is the first step. There are no guarantees. I could easily be rejected still. But, I do know that many aspiring writers would "kill" for an opportunity like I had! Say a prayer for me! - Nanette

3 comments:

Alisa Callos said...

All I can say is WOW! You go girl! I'm so excited for you. Hope he loves it and keep us posted...
I'm hoping to be where you are in 6-8 months. :)

Nani said...

What an opportunity. I am so happy for you and will be anxious to hear more.

Anonymous said...

I am soOOOOOOOOO excited about
your "story". It is definitely
an inspiration from Heaven. If it
changes the thinking for each
person that reads it, as it has
changed my thinking.......WOW!

"You go, girl!"

Granny Flash

PS Every day I give thanks for
the privilege of hearing the
"kinnin" play their instruments,
and this morning the Pledge of
Allegiance in perfect form! Good
job!

Followers