Wednesday, September 17, 2008

World War II

I've developed an interesting taste for World War II biographies. I'm not sure why that genre of literature has captured my imagination so. I'm not a lover of war or violence. I think it is the psychology of the whole thing - the morbid fascination with how masses of humans can be persuaded to do unimaginable, inhumane, raw evil and still walk about with a great deal of self respect. It is a solemn reminder to me that I could be so deceived.
Through the years, I've read quite a list of first-person accounts. I like a true, eyewitness account. It lends the edge of reality that I can't dismiss when the story gets scary. This really happened. I can understand historical fiction for eras where there is a derth of eyewitness. But WWII is not one of those. (I know there is some WWII historical fiction that is worthy. Tricia Goyer is one author that I give exception to. She has researched so extensively that one learns much more about the war than just a spun story.) But the books I'm posting are all true. Do you have any to suggest? Is anyone else out there WWII biography lover?

Nanette

No comments:

Followers